We all have them.
The situations, activities, thought patterns, even people that leave us feeling drained.
Walking out of one more work meeting feeling exhausted and uninspired. Tackling the never ending to do list that is distracting us from the things that actually bring us joy. The ruminating ‘what if’ thoughts running in the background of our minds. Bumping into that person at the grocery store that somehow zaps all our energy.
Let’s drop the energy vampires. Plug the leaks. And instead let joy be the strongest driver of our day!
Energy vampires can take many forms, and may not always be obvious.
Here are a few common vampires:
- Toxic Relationships: Unfortunately, we all know what these are. People who bring negativity, drama, or excessive demands into your life. Constantly draining your emotional and mental energy.
- Work-Related Stress: An overly demanding job, a toxic work environment, or excessive workloads can absolutely sap your energy over time.
- The Unachievable To Do List: Staying busy just to stay busy – or because it feels like no one else is going to help tackle the To Do List – can be a serious energy drain!
- Our Habits: Skipping meals, lack of movement, and inadequate sleep are all serious energy leaks that keep us exhausted.
- Negative Self-Talk: Sometimes, the most significant energy vampire is within ourselves. Constant negative thoughts can create a spiral of worst-case thinking and self-doubt.
So how do we get rid of the vampires?
- Boundaries!: Open Heart. Firm Back. It’s essential to establish clear boundaries with people and situations that drain your energy. Learn to say no when necessary and prioritize your well-being.
- Hang out with Positive People: Seek out friends and colleagues who uplift and support you. Positive relationships can be a powerful source of energy.
- Healthy Habits: Regular movement, eating protein at every meal, and getting enough rest are great places to start.
- Evaluate Your Work-Life Balance: Assess your work situation and change what you can!
- Mindfulness and Meditation: These practices can help you stay present and prevent negative thoughts from taking over. You can get started with my free Heart Centered Meditation.
- Letting Go of Toxic Relationships: This can be a tricky one! If a relationship is consistently harmful and unfixable, consider letting it go. Cultivate a circle of friends and loved ones who bring positivity to your life.
Need a more tangible way to start identifying and removing your vampires?
Try this Vampire Exercise:
Get a piece of paper and list out 20 things that you do in a typical day. For example: cook breakfast, walk the dog, drive kids to school, respond to emails, working meetings, mow the yard, do laundry….
Now, go back through the list and put a ‘V’ next to the items that drain you.
Then, return to each item with a ‘V’ and brainstorm a way to let it go! Can someone else cook half the meals, can you make a habit of only reading and responding to emails for 1 hour a day, can you hire a housecleaner, can you stop having lunch with the negative coworker…
Finally, pick 2 of those brainstorms and make them happen – TODAY. Hire the neighbor kid to mow the yard, start eating lunch instead of skipping it, make an appointment with your therapist…!
When you successfully remove energy vampires from your life, you create space for joy! For doing the things that actually matter to you and light you up.
By identifying and eliminating those negative influences, you end up with increased energy, improved mental health and a serious sense of personal empowerment.
Do the Vampire Exercise and let that stuff go!
- Dr. Emily Livengood
Ready for more ways to drop the energy vampires and boost your energy, my online Fuel and Fire class has you covered!